Popular Posts

Sunday, December 18, 2011

What is Dyslexia?

For a medical definition of dyslexia you can click the link below.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002379/

For a my definition keep reading.

Dyslexia is like most things in life a challenge. Quite simply it make you see the world differently, you organize thoughts and images in a "different" way.

When I learned to read it was not as simple as learning letters a words. When I looked a page I saw letters and pictures flying all over the page. I had to learn to sort them and put them back in order.
I was held back in preschool, tested for dyslexia in eliminatory school and placed in Special Education in Middle school.  When I was twelve years old I was told I would not be able to graduate high school with you Special Ed.

Now it is important to note that I spent my Special Ed period writing notes to my friends because the teachers assigned to get me through middle school, could not help me with my 6th grade math homework.

Now this is not a story of wow and it is not a blog about suffering.

This is about moving forward.

I not only graduated from High school, I graduated from College with a 3.6 GPA.
More importantly I discovered Dislexia and art go together like chocolate syrup and ice cream. When I started to master my Dyslexia I was abel to see the words on a page for together into pictures of the story. Looking at a canvas I can see the brush strokes before I make them. I can move things in my mind and know how they would look.

Dislexia is frustrating because it is not understood. With a standardized  system in schools kids who learn differently often don't learn at all.  Different is not a bad word. It's okay to be different.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your blog. I never knew that it was so hard. You seem so effortless on stage. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a long time I found it really embarrassing to talk about. Now I realize that we all have something that makes our journeys harder, it not embarrassing to have a challenge. We we don't talk about these things the way we view them will never change!

    ReplyDelete